Sunday, September 12, 2010

Busted Coveting My Neighbour's Wife

That's an attention getting title.

Coveting:

No, I don't covet her in the 10 Commandments way, but I certainly would want her running prowess.

A few weeks ago, we switched over to running flats and hence a modified gait.  I've struggled getting it down and I find myself still unable to naturally run landing on the mid-sole.  After the run on Wednesday, my calves were sore, again.  Not as sore as the first time, but sore nonetheless.  We did 12 x 400m and even with the short interval time, I found myself slipping in and out of the mid-sole vs heel strike.  I had to consciously think "oh no, I'm heel striking" and then correct myself to mid-sole, only to repeat the pattern many times.

Sharon on the other hand is running great.  She bought the Nike flats and has taken to them like a fish to water.  She naturally is running landing on her mid-soles, has no soreness afterwards and is steadily getting faster.

Busted:

I can't run.

Today's long run with Grace and Sue ended at 15.5mi of the 22 I had planned.

I had some shooting pains during the first 6 miles but stretched it out.  Then along the Spanish Banks beach run, the pain started coming back.  The hill up to UBC killed me off.  It was pouring rain and I was busted.  I asked G&S to go on without me.  They went to pick up my vehicle as I walked on.  I made it to an ATM and took refuge.  Along the freezing cold walk, I thought, of all the days to be lame, why one with pouring rain.

After a lot of suffering, we made it back to Starbucks and had a great story to share... or so I think ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment