Sunday, September 5, 2010

Humility

I think I'm pretty humble.  Or by saying that, am I bragging?!?

I've ran with some pretty fast people and there's certainly 2 different paths you can take here.

I ran with sub-3 hour marathoners that can run beside you and just enjoy the company (occasionally, I can be viewed as socially tolerable on some long runs, but only if I want to be).  They don't try to push the pace.  Take Grace's fiancée, he is very modest.  He runs with her (she's my pace for LSD) and has never mentioned anything about his impressive racing accomplishments to me unless asked... even then he seems genuinely embarrassed to talk about them.

I was at Forerunners recently, buying my racing flats.  I was chatting about running with the gentlemen helping me.  He mentioned he has run a few marathons, but nothing more.  Just an all round nice guy.  Later, I'm chatting with John Hill, the guy turns out to be Art Boileau... Canadian Olympic marathoner, won the LA Marathon twice and came in 2nd for the Boston, PR of 2:13!!!!  BTW, I ended up buying the same pair he races in :D

And then I've run with others that have said, "this pace isn't natural, I'll need to run faster".  On another occasion, I've overheard one guy, to paraphrase, "finisher medals are for losers, you need to at least place in your age group".

I hope I'll never have the arrogance to make a proclamation that insulting.  Hell, I'm just happy I can finish some races.  I don't care if you walk the whole marathon, you're out there.  That's all that counts.

I know everyone runs for different reasons.  Some like to get more fit, others like the social aspect, some may even like the introspection running solo provides, whatever the reason, running can and does welcome you.  It's not about being gifted, or comparing effort, or any comparisons for that matter.  When someone in our group has run a BQ, we're all happy, there's not an ounce of jealousy.

"It is always the secure who are humble." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment