Saturday, July 10, 2010

I'm Hot

I had previously thought I was pretty good running in the heat.  A trip to Hawaii changed that.


It was in early November, cool by Hawaiian standards, but I was going from freezing temperatures in Vancouver to high-20's.  I had run RVM about a month prior.  I felt pretty good running in the coolness of Vancouver, but a tempo lap around Diamond Head proved too much.


I'm in Eastern Canada right now and the area is going through a heat wave.  Ottawa was cool, but Toronto, Quebec, and Montreal have been down right muggy.  The temperature is hovering around 30 but the Humidex shows that it will feel like 40+  My longer runs have proven to be, er... disappointing.  A slow six miler had me stopping 2-3 times, my speedwork was way off pace and my tempo was slow and shortened.  I can unequivocally say, I was suffering in all of them.  Also, I can unequivocally say that I suck in the heat.


But like most things that are uncomfortable, there is a significant benefit...


I love racing in the fall.  You get to train in warm/hot days, but then get a nice cool weather to race in.


I actually figured out why I was good running in the heat years ago.  I never pushed myself whether it was warm, cold or whatever.  When it was warm out, I had so much buffer that they were easy too.  


Now, when I run, I just do the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment