Monday, June 28, 2010

Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon

I decided to give back a little to the running community.

After having run in a couple of dozen races, I decided to volunteer for one.

I've always held admiration for the race volunteers.  They wake up early, cheering runners on through rain, sleet, or snow.  Their reward?  A shirt that says "Volunteer" on it.

I wanted to volunteer for a bigger race, but it had to be one that I didn't plan to do... SVHM would be perfect.  I ran (not raced) it couple of years ago and enjoyed it, but because of the significant downhill section, I have reservations about it being a "true" half marathon.  Some people may disagree, but this is my blog ;)

Prior to the race, I found out many of my friends/acquaintances were running it, this would make cheering and watching out for them, even more fun.  Let's see... Shawna, Eric, Dennis, Amanda, Jen x2, Adrainna, Tricia, Joe, Wynne, Tomoko, and Stella.  I'm probably missing some people, and even the above list, I still didn't see more than half.

Earlier I said that volunteers only receive a shirt.  But hardly.

I had a great time at the race.  Many of the racers would take a moment to say "thanks" or give me a thumbs up.  I even had some people cheering that chose to stand with me.  The couple at the beginning were waiting for their daughter and then for the 2nd half, a group of 3 came out with hand-drawn posters that the racers all smiled and/or laughed at. "No Wimps", "Running is better than therapy".

But perhaps best of all, I had two friends come by to support their fellow runners.  Sue brought me a coffee, which I certainly needed since I only had less than 4 hours of sleep.  Sue is a great runner friend.  She's always willing to help you out and inspire/motivate you to do better.  She used our location as a launching point to pace her/our runner friends.  Nancy came by too.  She was out for a 12k run, and only 2k in when she stopped for a visit.  She's been on a very slow road to running recovery, so it's always nice to see her out.  She too paced some friends.

Running is beautiful.  It's elegant in its simplicity.  One leg in front of the other, repeats a few thousand times.  But its beauty is in the diversity of people it attracts.  Nearly everyone can run.  It brings out all body shapes, the lean Kenyans, the sedentary couch potatoes.  The young and old.  Some are hoping to beat records, some are just out for a good time, and some are out there to enjoy camaraderie.

When the race ended, the bus dropped me back at UBC and as I walked, I thought to myself.  "I love to experience things that grow me, and volunteering today, is one I will cherish."

"Nothing measurable matters." - EE Cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment