Saturday, June 19, 2010

Too Tired

Not sure what happened.

The clinic run was 10x400m.  John asked that I target a 91sec pace.  The first 3 were fast, too fast... trying to keep up with Sue wasn't the best decision.  The next 7 were slow.  On the last lap, I hit 94s.  I don't think I could have gone much faster if my clothes were on fire.

I gave it all I could, and it wasn't quite enough.

I really don't like that feeling.  I went home, feeling very melancholy.  The next day, I felt drained.  I tried/wanted to perk up, but just seemed unable.

When I chatted with John after the run.  He mentioned that he no longer competes because he's tired of it.  When he competed, he ran 12 times a week.  He won the Vancouver Marathon in 1978.

At first, I didn't understand why he stopped, but then I thought, it makes perfect sense.  How much longer would you want to be pushing your limits?  There's no cruise control when running/competing.  It's always a constant push for better/faster/longer.

I'm lucky.

I know I can motivate myself beyond this, I'll willingly suffer pain and humility when I know it is getting me closer to a tangible goal.

My dad used to say he was a dog, beat him, and he'd still come back for more.  That's tenacity!

No comments:

Post a Comment