Sunday, May 2, 2010

VIM Review

Weather forecast for today was cloudy,cool, but most importantly, dry... perfect.


I went down to the race with TLT and Sue.  There was definitely tension in the air.  We were all a bit nervous/anxious.  Well, maybe not all, TLT, who had watched Glee the night before seemed the most relaxed, but for her, she admitted to being nervous for the first time.  I had tried to go to bed too early, but my nerves got the best of me and I stayed up longer than I wanted for a 5:15A wake-up.


I started the run well, it was starting to mist, but I thought it would hold off.  Sue and I were thinking of running together, but she started off much faster than I felt comfortable with, so I stuck to my guns and started off at a Garmin pace of 8:15.


The rain started coming down, at times fairly heavy.  I was getting soaked.  I usually don't mind getting wet, except for my shoes.  My socks are great when they're dry, but once they get wet... ummm, not so good.  So after about 10 miles I felt the slightest of tingles on my left foot.  Do I stop, take a minute out and try to fix my socks, or do I suck it up?  Yep, suck it up.


I don't know what it is about Vancouver.  Victoria seems to get a lot more people out cheering.  Vancouver, although much bigger, just doesn't have the crowds coming out... must be too big-city.


It was fun to hear people shout my name and cheer me on.  But I was pretty tired and all I could muster was a half-hearted smile and a fist pump.  But a big thanks to my running buddies for showing up, although I was tired, I did perk up upon hearing my name shouted out by CM, Wynne, G&B, and Shawna.


At around 35km I see TLT coming back on the U-turn, followed a few seconds by Sue.  They are both about 3-4 minutes in front of me.  I'm squeezing every bit of effort out.  I'm exhausted, but know that I didn't come here to dip my toes in.  One of my tricks was to run up the hills at a good pace, short strides and try to not slow down too much, but on the downhill, just give it everything.  If I'm going to slow down for the up, I might as well make up for it on the down.


At this point, my blister was no longer a tingle.  It was damn hurting.  Thankfully, it was only every second step as my right foot was mostly good.  I wasn't going to change my gait, I know that once that happens, you start to compensate elsewhere and things go down pretty fast.  Pain or not, the show must go on.


The second crossing of Burrard St Bridge was tough.  I've run the bridge probably close to 100 times, but it never seemed longer than it did today.  Once I made it to the crest, I gave everything I had on the way down. With about 2k to go, my vision starts to narrow and I'm really hurting.  I'm too close to slow down now.


I can see the finish line now and I'm not going to let anyone pass me.  Normally, I ease up. but not this time.  I hear my name over the loud speaker, the announcer mentions that I'm beating my PB by over 30 minutes.  Woot!


I cross the finish line, and break into a gagging/heaving fit.  I'm happy, I know I've done good.


Official time:  3:37:03

No comments:

Post a Comment