Friday, April 30, 2010

Looking Good... Not Quite

Almost there... two sleeps away...


I bought new runners, Asics 2150's.  I'm hoping the new runners will make me run faster.  Well no, not really, but at least they are nice and shiny ;)


When I'm racing, I know I don't look very good.  I try to pay attention to my form, but aside from that, my face is usually covered with salt, sweat stains going down my back and road grime running up my legs.  I've seen enough of my race photos to know, when the going gets rough, I'm not very pretty.


Some people take great pics.  A friend, Joe, has a fantastic one where he is smiling directly at the camera while pointing with both hands in pseudo-gun fashion (looks a lot cooler than I can describe).  Wynne is a poseur.  She always takes great pictures, especially crossing the finish line.


Even when I try to look cool, I fail.  The first time I raced RVM, when I crossed the finish line I put my arms up in celebration.  Little did I know that after 4+ hours of my arms going back and forth, raising them was the last thing they wanted to do.  It hurt more than running the 26 miles.


For my last marathon, I showed a friend some of my pictures.  He replied, "I thought you'd dress better."  I didn't know I ever dress better, I just wear clothes so I don't get arrested for walking around naked.  


When it comes to running, I don't worry too much about what I wear looks like.  I do pay attention to anything that gives me any edge, real or imagined.  Usually it means tech fabrics (compression top), light shorts, and dual layer socks.  I'm fine if that isn't considered "good looking", cause "Function before form" has always been my motto.


With the marathon just around the corner, I'm feeling pretty good about it.  Maybe too good... I'm planning to run with the Sue, who is much faster than me, with the 3:40 bunny, and TLT is planning to start with the 3:45 bunny.  Am I crazy?  Two more sleeps and I'll know for sure :D

2 comments:

  1. You called me a poser! Haha, you just haven't seen my bad finish line pictures. Sometimes, you just need to break into a sprint to slide in under your target and no one looks pretty doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wynne, it was so good to see you cheer me on at the race. Thanks a bundle for coming out. I hear you are doing Scotia... I'm hoping to volunteer for it.

    ReplyDelete