Monday, March 15, 2010

Setback... Again!!!

If you've been following my blog, you'll know that for the last 5 weeks or so, I've had a tough time putting in consecutive weeks of mileage. Cold/flu/calf/Whistler/Sun Peaks, but it all was all coming to a head and there seemed to be a clearing. Well almost...

This past weekend we stayed at Sun Peaks from Thursday - Sunday. While I was looking forward to the fun snowboarding weekend, I was also looking forward to having the end so that I could start my regularly scheduled running.

I suppose this is where planning doesn't help. I'm a planner. I made plans for a sub 3:40 VIM, but then I get it yanked from under my feet, literally.

I was racing my snowboard trying to play catchup and I cut a gate too close. But instead of falling like I have a hundred times before, I fell hard on the side of my ribs, I sat on the snow and couldn't breathe. I thought for a moment that I'd be blacking out. But after awhile, I was able to do short gasps. I figured I was going to live and had only bruised my ribs. 3-4 weeks for recovery!

This is the second time in a few months where I have been dealt a major setback.

It's challenging for me to deal with... making plans for a goal, seeing it in my sights, but then have it yanked away just as I get near it.

I hurt. I hurt when I walk, shower, or even sleep. I don't know when I'll be running again. But one thing I do know, I will get up, brush the self-pity off myself and enjoy what life has to offer. So for planning, maybe I'll take a piece of a Bushism: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again."

No comments:

Post a Comment