Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Running Tunes

(Note: This posting was supposed to come out before Setbacks... Again!)

I generally don't listen to music when I run. I enjoy the purity of getting attuned to my body and the different sensations that go through it. Appreciating the moment. However, the last few weekends, I've been away, and needed to resort to treadmilling for my longer runs.

Running on a treadmill is nothing like the outdoors. I'd take a nasty day running outside than inside on a treadmill. But sometimes, running on the same spot for 2 hours is more convenient than finding a 12 mile route around Sun Peaks at 8PM.

On my iPod, I have a variety of songs, most of them are pretty fast paced, but occasionally I'll throw in a slow one, for a change. But the one constant of my songs are the lyrics. I love songs that tell a story or have something deeper to offer than a good beat.

My All-Time Top Running Songs:

Bleed it Out - Linkin Park: I gotta admit, the lyrics aren't about running, they're actually about writing a song(?!?) But with lines like "I bleed it out, digging deeper just to throw it away" and "F*ck this hurts, I won't lie, doesn't matter how hard I try", how can a runner not like this song?

Mr Brightside - The Killers: This song is very special to me. RVM played this song as I started my inaugural marathon. I originally thought part of the lyrics were "I just can't run, it's killing me", so I was relieved to find out it was look. It's a great story nonetheless, two-word synopsis: unrequited love. I have a thing for sad/depressing songs and this one, despite the good running beat, fits the bill. Oh, and I love to sing this for Rock Band.

Brilliant Disguise - Bruce Springsteen: This is a weird one. It's fairly slow, but I just love the story. I remember when Springsteen engaged, married, and divorced Julianne Phillips. The story starts off with woman that on the outside shows what everyone expects her to be, a loving wife, but she is having doubts about her marriage/love. But then the story takes a bit of a turn, when he, admits he is living the lie and has the same doubts.

Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down: Similar to Bleed it Out, this one has nothing to do with running hard and/or being Superman, it's a about drug addiction. But nonetheless, I like to fool myself about the lyrics and apply them to my run.

I change up my tunes from time to time. For instance, right now I have a bunch of Green Day (She, makes honourable mention) and Maroon 5 (Won't Go Home Without You). While I'm far from being a iPod listening runner, I do recognize they have a time and place. "If I ever am a hypocrite, it only proves I am still thinking." - Gordon S

2 comments:

  1. You've got me listening to Mr. Brightside now, too! Even though I didn't know the song, it didn't impress on me, apparently I was there when it was playing at race start. :D The LP song sounds good, have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, good times that first marathon. CM and I are still plodding along. I even see Joe turning up at marathon expos still.

    ReplyDelete