Monday, March 8, 2010

Gattaca

I love watching movies. Funny, action, fantasy, or even an occasional girly movie like Julie & Julia. One of my favourite movies is Gattaca. It is a story, set in the future, where parents can engineer the DNA of their child to make them more or less perfect. Most parents then decide to make their children perfect, but not all. One of the normal kids, Vincent, grows up and is relegated to second class status. His brother Anton, on the other hand is engineered. What Anton can't understand is why he always loses in their swimming contests, which is to swim out as far and fast as they can in the open water. Vincent answers, "You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back."

That's what I felt like after my last tempo run. Three weeks ago, JH assigned me 9 miles at 7:45 pace. I didn't hit it. I finished at a 7:47 pace. I hadn't done a tempo since, so when I received my new homework and saw 11 miles @ 7:45, I was anxious. Friday was a beautiful cool day and I managed to eek out a successful run. But In the end, I was pretty exhausted. I felt just like Vincent.

That's been my running philosophy...
"Wherever you go, go with all your heart" Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment