Thursday, January 13, 2011

Livin' on the Edge

Last Sunday, I ran with a few running buddies, including TLT.

I love running with her.  Never a dull moment.

A few weeks ago, we were out for a long run.  She was pretty tired, as this was her first long one in quite some time.  Near the end, she said, "do you want to see me pole dance?"  I've been running for over 7 years, and I've never heard that question in the middle of a run before.  She then showed me some moves and I laughed.

On Sunday we were talking about the VIM and if the pace bunnies would be doing 10s and 1s.  I said, if they were, I probably wouldn't want to go with them, cause, I don't want to run that fast for 10 and then cool down for the 1.  I said that you typically need to run about 10 seconds faster, per kilometer, when doing 10s and 1s.

TLT said, "don't think about it so much and just do it.  You think about what you can and can't do, but you gotta run on the edge more."

What she doesn't understand is, I do.

For my intervals and tempos, I leave nothing on the table.  My entire focus is doing the best I can.  I used to run to my Garmin speed, but no more.  While I still check it, I'm not a slave to it.  I find that by looking at it less often, I put more effort in and I'm not constrained by my pace targets.

I don't set limits on what I can't do.

"So suck it up and tough it out and be the best you can." - J Mellencamp

No comments:

Post a Comment