Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Joy of Running

I like to run.

Running is just me versus myself.  No stupid games, no drama, no hidden agendas.  If only life were that simple.

This is an especially nice time for me.  I'm not in serious training mode, so I can explore more.  Tuesday morning I trained with my daughters' XC team and then went for a jaunt through the endowment lands with some of the moms.  After the main run, I proposed an interval run of 1 mile to a splinter group.  The top finisher seemed very happy with herself and why not?  She hadn't run that fast since her college days... (she was actually 2 minutes faster then!)  The following day, CM and I were supposed to do some speed work, but instead we did a 6 miler at a "no man's land" pace[1].  But it felt great.

When the weight of goal oriented training is lifted, albeit temporarily, it's like a breath of fresh air.

I still don't believe in doing anything half-assed.  If I'm doing anything, I'm all in.  It's just now, I'm all into the relaxing/casual running.  It's kinda nice.

But in the back of my mind, I know that this ride is going to end.  And when it does, I'll be ready to jump in with both feet.

"The achievement of your goal is assured the moment you commit yourself to it.” M Douglas

[1] The pace between a long slow distance and tempo has marginal benefits for training.

No comments:

Post a Comment