Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Hurt

It's been a tough week...

  • Wednesday, track workout.  I did well, but my legs were very sore for days.  
  • Friday, tempo run.  I was supposed to do 9 miles, but could only muster 6 miles.  I'm blaming my soreness and the heat.  It's good to find excuses :P
  • Saturday, Grouse Grind with my girls.  They both hit PBs of 1:09 (R) and 1:10 (C)!
  • Sunday, an 18 mile run
  • Tuesday, BCMC trail solo.  ~1 hour
  • Wednesday, track workout again

Why do I put myself through this?

I sometimes wonder what makes me tick.

I'm pretty sure I'm not "normal".  I don't wear that label with honour, it's just a fact.  I don't make an effort to think different.

I do know I am willing to take some risks if the downside is pain.  I enjoy going mountain biking on the edge of my skill, I like to push my luck snowboarding.  Injuries?  Hmm... two sprained ankles, broken fingers, broken hand, 2x bruised ribs, and of course countless bruises, cuts, and a few near concussions (i.e. strained neck from my head hitting the snow so hard).

I view life as a collection of experiences, not a collection of goods.  The saying, he who dies with the most toys still dies, strikes a chord with me.  Sure, not all experiences are pleasant, but from each new one, you learn some.

But what is the alternative?  Biking or riding at a leisurely pace???  I've tried and just can't do it, it's too boring.  I don't understand why people hold back.  If I'm in something, I'm in.  In for a penny, in for a pound.

I am different.  I accept pain and discomfort as a price to pay for living life.  So yeah, I hurt, but I have no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment