Friday, April 2, 2010

Kryptonite

I recently called someone my Kryptonite.


She would flip-flop on her decisions and that just drained me.


That got me thinking...


My clinic run on Wednesday was my first Kryptonite run.  It was 2x2mi, my normal pace is somewhere around 7:00-7:10/mi.  So taking into account my hurt ribs, I figured, I'd be good for a 7:30.  Went out pretty strong, but when the breathing got heavy I found myself holding my breath instead.  I fought the last mile just to eek out a 7:37.  Grace commented that I was leaning to my side as I ran.  On the second mile, I decided that I'd take it down a notch to ensure I had my form.  Even at the slower 7:55, I had to fight that.


I was running very slowly back chatting to another injured (but recently recovered) runner and we were saying how humbling today's run was.


With a month to go before Vancouver, I know I have my work cut out for me.


Friday's weather was cool, rainy and windy (i.e. "wind warning in effect").  Time for my second Kryptonite run, the dreaded Tempo.


I was able to hold a 8:15 pace (which is down :30 from my normal) but only ran 10.3mi of the 11.  At this point though my hands had lost all feeling and I was still about 3 miles from home.  Now, I've gone on cold runs before, I've gone on wet runs before, I've even gone on windy runs... but rarely all 3.  There wasn't much of an option, I just had to suck it up and run, albeit slowly, back home.  By the time I got home, my hands were frozen.  I soaked them in water, that I think was warm/hot, but in hindsight, I couldn't feel it.  After 10 minutes, I was finally able to wiggle my fingers.


I hated running today, I've never been so cold.  I was texting CM.  She is/was planning for a run today too.  I told her not to.


However, when I consider what I did, I'm happy.  I knew it was going to be a challenging run, but I went out and put up a fight.  I lost, but I'd still do it again.


Without Kryptonite, things would be too easy.  I need these challenges that get in my face and say, "I dare you".  I know I'm a better runner because of it.


"Between safety and adventure, I choose adventure." - C Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment