Thursday, April 8, 2010

Foot in the Door

Some friends asked me if I would consider training them.


They have been running for awhile but want to take it to the next level.  I said, I can help ;)

A have some caveats/concerns and I'm sure they do to.  

First off, I showed them this blog, to let them have some insight into my running mindset (i.e. how committed/insane I am).  I take pride when I help people develop.  Even from back in my corporate days, I enjoyed mentoring young people.  But I recognize I can get pretty focussed at times and put blinders on.  For instance, I view Boston as a project.  Timelines, Gantt charts, and critical paths are all part of my planning... not really, but sorta, since they are in my head.

Secondly, I will have to let them know of my last trainee, she was my greatest success as well as my greatest failure.  I helped get a friend from a 4:30 marathon (actual) to a sub-4 (calculated) which would have been her BQ.  I was feeling very good about myself.  But then things went astray when she started having leg/knee issues that stopped her training cold.  I'm not sure if my training schedule was too difficult or she had a predisposition.  Whatever, I'll take full responsibility for not being more empathetic and pulling back more on the training.  I recognize that my nature is a touch hardcore and I enjoy pushing myself and may occasionally project that on others.  I know I have to pull back on expectations.

Finally, as I said to them.  I'm not looking for someone that wants to dip their toes in the water.  "Do or do not, there is no try".  I plan to devote my time and energy to help them get their running goals, I'd expect no less in return.  I expect 3 days running per week.  Sure not every week, I realize life happens, but that should be exception.  Three days provides a strong base as well as time to develop.

After reading and discussing, if they are still willing, I'd be more than happy.


I'm stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment