Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ifs and Buts

I don't know about you, but there's some things that can always make me laugh or smile.  The word "jugdish" cracks me up.  I smile when I see a bunch of sunflowers.  And it's definitely hard to be mad when drinking bubble tea /w pearls, of course.


Then there's post-races....


Most people, don't run races to their expectations, and will want to explain, why they failed.  Some are funny, "I would have done better but it was a really hilly course" for a race that is nearly flat except for an elevation loss.  Then there's the neighbour's noisy dog, the boyfriend kept calling, etc.  You need to stand there, with a near stoic expression, then nod your head, before turning away and laughing.


While some explanations are sad, "course marshal directed me the wrong way" or "I really needed to go to the washroom".


Regardless, I say, hold your head up high.


For the most part, we're weekend warriors.  Sure we train in the middle of the week, but none of us do this professionally our experience with any particular run is probably limited to less than 2 or 3 times, and most will be very lucky to have raced more than a handful of marathons (ie Bev).  It's hard to know how you're going to feel on race day and how the many variables will play a roll on what's a good pace.


On a recent tempo run, I told Fil I'd be back home in about 2 hours, 2.5 hours if it goes bad, but if I'm not home in 3 hours, I'm dead.  When VIM is over, good or bad, I know I won't have any excuses.  I don't want to finish and have any regrets.  For a race, it means, not leaving anything on the table.  No "woulda coulda shoulda's" and certainly no "ifs and buts".

No comments:

Post a Comment