Monday, January 11, 2010

Nothing but PBs

My first marathon was RVM in 2006. I was aiming to complete, but as I started training more, I felt a 4:15 was in my grasp. I managed to beat my target and was very happy with the results. For my second marathon, I ran at Disney World. This was part of Goofy's Race and a Half. One and a half marathons spread over 24 hours is no place for a PB. On my third marathon, I was injured for much of the scheduled training, so I opted to pace a friend. It was RVM's 30th Anniversary and I was in no shape to do a sub-4, and thought the safe thing to do was enjoy the run, which I did immensely.

Three down and only 1 PB to show for it. Pretty sad.

I bump into or hear about people, that on their first marathon outing, they find they qualified for Boston. "Yeah, I had nothing going on in April, so started to run. Guess what? I qualified for Boston." I find these people amazing, I wish I was naturally a good runner. But I'm not.

I bumped into an old running buddy, DM, a few weeks ago. He was like me, plugging away at a BQ for a number of years. Just last month, he got it. I was so happy for him. I know how important it was to him and I know how hard he worked to get there. For DM, it wasn't just rolling out of bed, it was a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.

Last blog I wrote, "nothing good in life comes easy". I stand by that. You can't truly appreciate something, unless you've earned it the hard way.

My current marathon PB is nothing to write home about, but I'm planning on my next one to be... well, maybe not write home, but talk about it once I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment