Monday, October 3, 2011

I'd Like to Thank the Academy

I've refrained from blogging since my Vancouver Marathon race.  I wanted to keep the blog pure, my attempt to get into Boston.

Since I ran Vancouver in May, I've been going through a lot of thinking.

Without a doubt, I know I did as well as I could on that particular day, but I had a nagging thought that I could still do better.

I had gone so far as signing up for another marathon about 5-6 weeks after VIM.  But what I found was, my immediate enthusiasm for this race waned as it drew nearer.  My tempo runs also started petering out with the rare warm days we had, and once again, the ugly word "doubt" reared its head.

In the end, I decided not to run.  Instead, we had a fantastic family vacation in Oregon.

As the dates for Boston signup approached, I thought it was a pretty outside chance I'd make it.  Sue signed up on the first day saying it took her 5 minutes (vs 3+ hours last year) and she received the confirmation within the hour.

Monday morning, I wake up, nice and early, to make sure my computer was ready to go.  7AM comes and I sign in/up and I'm done by 7:05.  Upon reading the fine print, I find:
It is no longer first come first served, but based on time and likely other small factors like placing
Admittance will not be confirmed until the following week.

Getting through the week was difficult... I was thinking that if only I had run the Foot Traffic Flat I wouldn't have had to go through this anxiety.

But the Monday does arrive and I'm out and about.  I check my email at 11:30A and the subject line reads: Boston Marathon Entry Confirmation

My heart starts beating like mad and I quickly scan the email to see: has been accepted

Tears well up as I begin to comprehend the moment... the realization of having my dream coming true is just too hard for many to really understand.  From being the slowest kid in the slowest gym class (i.e. "Awk Block") to qualifying for the legendary Boston Marathon.... I've come a long way.

I am so ecstatic, everyday I reflect at just how lucky I am.  It was a very long road, but now I can enjoy it... the fruits of my labour.  I had blogged about this before, but I knew it was going to be difficult and that's why it is even more satisfying.  Nothing good comes easy.

Between the time I signed up and when I was accepted, I made a small change to my plans.  I originally thought to not race Boston and enjoy the experience, take pictures, high 5 spectators etc.  But in light of being chosen to run while many didn't, I've decided it would be an affront to them and embarrassing for me to not give it my all.  So yeah, I'll be racing it.

I'll be doing a few shorter races in the fall (i.e. Turkey Trot, Fall Classic) and then going back to John Hill in January to prepare for my race.

"But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted.... He lived happily ever after." -- Willy Wonka

No comments:

Post a Comment