Thursday, April 14, 2011

Don't Quit

I know it's been awhile since my last confession, but it'll be a little clearer after you read the blog.

--
I felt so crappy after last week's JH session.

2x200m, 2x600m.  Pretty short by JH standards.

The 200's went well, but on the first 600, I felt really tired and stopped at around 300m when I felt myself slipping.

John asked if I was injured, and I said no, just tired.  He then told me something I hope to take with me to my grave...

You don't stop.  You need to complete what you set out to do, because if you allow yourself to stop once, it makes it easier to stop again.

I felt/feel so crappy.

I just finished telling Shawna, it doesn't matter about time/pace, just make sure your effort is there.

It's true.  All of it.

It is weird, I had set such a high standard for myself, when I found myself slipping on my target I'd just give up.

It started on a tempo run in March.  There was a horrible headwind blowing and after about 13k of the 18 that was planned, I started slipping to a 4:40/km. I thought, "if I can't hit 4:35, I may as well stop".  So I did.

For 2 of the next 3 tempos, whenever I found my pace slowing down, I stopped.

I had never stopped before on a tempo... maybe because I didn't have high expectations, but having stopped once, it really did set a precedent making the subsequent ones that much easier.

With only a few weeks to go, I've switched back.  Last week, I decided against wearing my Garmin and managed a 4:43 for 21kms... not great, but I'm actually happy because it is so much better than quitting.

Tomorrow, I'm going out for a 22k tempo.  I don't know what my pace will be, but I do know I'll have run a hard 22k.

No comments:

Post a Comment