Friday, February 18, 2011

Taking Nothing for Granted

I try to never forget how lucky I am to be chasing a dream.

Last week's long run before the First Half race was a cold wet one.  But I thought, I'm so fortunate that I am doing what I want to do at this very moment.  Sure, I wouldn't have minded if it was warmer and dryer, but the fact of the matter is, I'm out there with a bunch of friends and we're having a good time.

The following week, the conditions were ideal to race the First Half Marathon.  Cool and dry.

I went in thinking I'd run a 15k tempo and then slow down to a 5 min/k pace, but John would have none of that.

So I gave it.

I had a terrific race.

I went out a little too strong, 4:10 for the first km and then slowing to 4:25.  By kilometer 3, I was in my zone and kept my pace of 4:36 for the rest of the race.

In the end, I knocked 10 minutes off my previous half marathon PB, and came in at 1:38:07.

The time translates to a 3:25 marathon.  Pretty solid into a BQing.  I was stoked.

BAA had a different plan.

  1. They are having a rolling/staggered admissions. Faster people get to register earlier... until the race is completely sold out.
  2. 2013 They are lowering qualifying times by 5 minutes across the board. But with the rolling admission, it makes the times moot.

I'm not giving up, but I am rethinking my strategy.

The balancing act of what is possible and what I'll likely need to be able to register.  I'm thinking a sub 3:20 will be where I need to be.  This gets me into the second group to be able to register, and is comparable to a 1:35:37 half... 2.5 minutes faster than my recent results.
--
On the way home from JH the other day, I was driving along the Park drive when I was rounding a bend and saw headlights headed straight for me.  I jammed on the brakes and avoided a collision.  I suggested to the driver he was going the wrong way on a one way street.

I really am lucky to be given the opportunity to chase a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment