Monday, June 7, 2010

It's the Journey, not the Destination

I try to take in life with a more Zen-like view.  To immerse myself in the moment and finding intrinsic value in whatever I'm doing.

During the last two weeks, I did some self-reflection.... more like I was forced to.

Last week I mention to John that I get pretty anxious before tempo runs.  He doesn't like the sounds of that.  He says I'm running all wrong... I need to relax and just go out there.  He says, "the last thing you want to be is another P!"  He goes on to say that during the clinic/intervals, P does great, but come race time, he bombs.

Then this week, I mention to Amanda, the new girl, that after I qualify for Boston, no more running for me.  She replies, "Really?!?!  You're not serious?"  But I was.

I started thinking, that maybe I'm putting so much focus on my goal, I'm forgetting that I really need to enjoy what I am doing to get there.  I do enjoy running.  As a matter of fact I am very passionate about it.  The long slow runs let me take in the sights of  Vancouver while chatting with a buddy or three.  The tempo runs, I honestly like the way I feel... it makes me feel alive.  The interval runs are probably the least enjoyable, but after finishing, I'm feeling pretty darn euphoric.

I don't want to lose my focus but at the same time, I'm going to take it down a notch and really enjoy the road I'm on.

I was out for my Sunday run with TLT when we bumped into some of her friends at the beach.  We chatted briefly and one of them said to me, "nice day for a run."  I replied, "any day I can get out for a run is a nice day."

No comments:

Post a Comment