Sunday, March 28, 2010

Inevitable

Just 5 weeks until Vancouver Marathon.

I find myself in as much discomfort as last week after doing something innocuous... buckling my daughter's ski boots.

While I know I'm healing, I also know that I am far from feeling good.  I went for a run.  Wanted it slow and easy, to build my base back up.  But I'm still having issues with hard breathing.  I don't know if I'm going to be able to get many +30k runs in between now and race day.  I'm content with my speed, but not at all happy about the miles I haven't done.  

Life is so unpredictable.

On a slightly unrelated note, a friend recently said to me, "XXX was inevitable."  I replied, "what does inevitable mean?"  (Yes, I do know what it means).  The friend went on to say, that there was only ever going to be the one conclusion.

I don't like that.

I don't believe in inevitable.

I don't believe in destiny.

I suppose in life, if something was inevitable, what would we do differently?  I'd think, everything.

Instead we are fortunate that nothing in life is inevitable.  Take running for instance, especially a marathon distance, there are so variables.

Training is all about minimizing the bad, while enforcing the good.  We train for months and try to prepare our bodies for the 26 miles, but then it all may boil down to how much water we drank, how we slept or something as silly as wearing cotton socks instead of "tech" ones, which is a true story of a friend that ended up with blisters and bloody feet :P

So when I hear "inevitable", I think back of the days when I was one of the slowest kids in PE.  I'm sure many thought it'd be inevitable I'd stay the slowest.  I'm no speed demon now, but I can certainly hold my own.  But I'm not out to prove to those people or anyone, I'm out to prove to myself.

I'll end with a nice inevitable quote:  "At first, dreams seem impossible, then improbable, and eventually inevitable." - C Reeve

No comments:

Post a Comment